If you're a fan of Meatless Monday who's trying to get your family and friends on board, you can count on this recipe to convince them to skip meat for one day out of the week. This Italian-filled oven pizza will satisfy any pizza lover, and it's a healthy version.
Meatless Monday Calzone
- Cooking spray
- 1 tablespoon cornmeal
- ½ pound whole-wheat pizza dough, thawed if frozen
- ¾ cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 6 sun-dried tomato halves, finely chopped
- 2 cups tightly packed baby spinach leaves, finely chopped
- 2 small Roma tomatoes, cut into thin half-moons
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 6-8 fresh basil leaves, cut into ribbons
- 1 large egg white, whisked
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside. Spread the cornmeal onto a work surface. Place pizza dough onto work surface and, using a rolling pin or your hands, roll dough into a rectangle, about 10" x 15". Place the dough onto the baking sheet.
- Using a spoon, spread ricotta cheese along the middle of the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border on the short ends and a 3-inch border on the long sides.
- Place sun-dried tomatoes, spinach, tomato slices, mozzarella, and basil atop the ricotta cheese.
- Brush the whisked egg white along each edge of the dough. Fold over the short ends of the dough to cover the filling then roll the dough up lengthwise. Seal the top and bottom with your fingers, pressing firmly. Place the calzone seam side down. Brush the entire surface of the calzone with the remaining whisked egg white. Slice four 1-inch slits into the top of the dough, making slices 2" apart.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the crust has browned and the cheese is bubbling slightly from the slits. Transfer to a serving platter. When cooled enough to touch, slice into 8 pieces and serve. SERVES 4